Handling a court case can be difficult and confusing. Please know that there are people who want to help.

Unlawful detainer cases are heard in the court that is responsible for the location of the rental property.

In Contra Costa County, unlawful detainer cases are heard in three of the County's court branches. Figure out which court will handle your case in the chart below.

If the rental unit is in:

File in this court branch:

Pleasant Hill
San Ramon
Walnut Creek
Wakefield Taylor Courthouse
725 Court Street
Martinez, CA 94553
(925) 646-4099

Bay Point
Bethel Is.
(to San Joaquin County line)
Discovery Bay
Pittsburg Courthouse
1000 Center Drive
Pittsburg, CA 94565
(925) 646-4099

El Cerrito
San Pablo
Richmond Courthouse
100 - 37th Street
Richmond, CA 94805
(925) 646-4099

Legal aid gives free legal services to people who are low-income.

Non-profits have other types of support like counseling and resources.

Here are some legal aid and other non-profit groups in Contra Costa County:

Bay Area Legal Aid
BayLegal provides legal information and representation.

Contra Costa County Crisis Center: 211 Data Base
The Crisis Center has 24-hour crisis lines, an information and referral program, and other services.

Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
Senior Legal Services provides free legal services to people who are sixty years of age or older.

Legal Services for Children
Legal Services for Children represents children and youth in many types of cases, including guardianship.

STAND! For Families Free of Violence
STAND! has many domestic violence prevention and treatment programs.

LawHelpCA.org can help you find other legal help.

Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) establishes and collects child support.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
The DMV website can help you find the nearest office.

Public libraries have legal self-help books and online resources.

Your County Clerk Recorder Office has copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce records.

Contra Costa County Bar Association (CCCBA) has many services, including:

Lawyer Referral Service
For a small fee, you can be referred to a lawyer.

Limited Scope Representation
After discussing your case, you and the lawyer decide which parts of your case you can do yourself and which parts really need to be handled by the lawyer.

Moderate Means Program
If you qualify, you can be referred to an attorney who has agreed to charge a reduced hourly rate.

Resolving Disputes Together
Uses expert staff to help resolve conflicts without legal action.

Congress of Neutrals
Offers many services to help resolve conflicts.

Family Law Alternative Resolution Program (FLARe)
Uses qualified attorneys to listen to both parties, and hopefully resolve their family law dispute.

Fair Housing Hotline Project:
Get advice and assistance with fair housing questions and violations of fair housing laws.

California Department of Consumer Affairs: Their website includes guides covering many landlord/tenant topics.

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH): The DFEH investigates complaints of discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations. Go to their website for brochures, forms and frequently asked questions.

LawHelp California Housing: Get information on public housing and subsidized housing, housing discrimination and landlord/tenant issues.

Shelter, Inc.: Has online information about shelters in the area.

The County Homeless Hotline: for emergency shelter services or referrals to other agencies, call 1(800) 808-6444.