If You Are Younger Than 18 Years of Age

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe! Opens new window If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here. Opens new window

There are special legal rules that apply to people under 18 who want to appear in court or file papers with the court on their own behalf.

  • The court requires that a person, not necessarily a lawyer, be appointed to represent and protect the interests of the person younger than 18 before they can participate in any court proceedings. This is called having a "guardian ad item."
  • You can contact an attorney or a children's legal services provider on your own, or the court may appoint someone to represent you.

For information about what to do if the situation changes, click here.

Often, people involved in Domestic Violence cases need more than just legal help. For some suggestions about where to get other help, see Ask for Help

Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.