How and Where to File Restraining Order Papers With the Court

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe! Opens new window If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here. Opens new window

In California, a Domestic Violence Restraining Order process normally gets started when someone asks for protection by filing papers with a court clerk.

You can file your forms with the court either in person or by mail.

  • Most people choose to file in person, so that nothing gets lost and they can get their orders as soon as possible, and so if there is a problem with their paperwork they can fix it on th
  • If you file by mail, it will take a few extra days, and you must send an extra copy of each form and a stamped, self-addressed envelope so the court clerk can mail you an official (filed) copy of each form.





Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.