If You Are an "Other Protected Person" Under a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe! Opens new window If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here. Opens new window

In California, the court can try to help to prevent repeated acts of violence and sexual abuse by issuing Restraining Orders.

These provide a separation of the people involved that is long enough for these people to try to deal with the causes of the violence. The person who asks for a Restraining Order can list other people he or she would like protected from the person to be restrained.

If you are listed as "Other Protected Person" on the Restraining Order, the Orders made by the court apply to you just as they apply to the primary protected person, unless special Orders are specifically made regarding you.

  • You can ask a police officer, sheriff's deputy, or other law enforcement officer to make the restrained person do what the Order says.
  • You should be ready to not see or talk to the restrained person as long as the Restraining Order is in effect.

This part of the website has information about what to do:

In California, there are laws that define what is "abuse." These include bodily injury, sexual assault, or fear of injury or assault. (California Family Code, Section 6203) Opens new window

"Domestic Violence" is abuse against:

  • A spouse or former spouse;
  • People who are dating or used to date (it does not have to be an intimate or
    sexual relationship);
  • The mother or father of a child
  • People related to each other by blood, marriage, or adoption (such as a mother, father, child, brother, sister, grandparent, or in-law);
  • A person who regularly lives or used to live in the home.
    (California Family Code, Section 6211) Opens new window

At this web site you will find information about the following topics:

It's important that you understand what is happening and get the help you need.

  • For information about where to get help in Contra Costa County, California,
    click here
  • To view some short videos with general information about how California's court system works, click here. Opens new window

If the Restrained Person is one of your Parents:

If the restrained person is one of your parents, the judge will probably make specific Orders about when, where and how you can visit with that parent.

If you are listed as "Other Protected Person" on a Restraining Order that restrains one of your parents and you want to be removed from the Restraining Order, or you want the Custody and Visitation Orders to be changed, you may want to contact an attorney.

There is also an organization called Legal Services for Children Opens new window that might help. 


Contra Costa Legal Help Other CA Legal Help


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.