Step 1: Fill in Your Forms

en español>

Normally, you will have been given the court forms you need when you are "served" with the "Temporary Restraining Order" (Form DV-110) and the "Request for Order" (Form DV-100). If, for some reason, you did not get the forms you need, you can get them by clicking on the form number below.

You may want someone to help you to fill in the court forms. Your answers may be handwritten, but they must be printed neatly so other people can read them easily.

NOTE: You may not need all of these forms. Or you may need more forms. If you're not sure which forms to use, talk to your Family Law Facilitator Opens new window or a lawyer. 

For help in getting low-cost legal aid, click here. Opens new window

For help finding local court forms you may need, go to your county's court website: click here. Opens new window

If you disagree with the Orders, fill out an:

  • Response to Request for Domestic Violence Restraining Order
    (Form DV-120) Opens new window

If you and the person seeking protection are joint parents of children under the age of 18:

  • Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and
    Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)
    (Form FL-105) Opens new window
    See the instructions Opens new window for this form.

If the person seeking protection has requested Child Custody and Visitation Orders:

The Family Law Facilitator may be able to review your papers if there are child or spousal support issues in your case. For information about the Family Law Facilitator's office in the county where you live, click here. Opens new window

NOTE: Court staff cannot give legal advice, they can only review the forms to confirm that the paperwork is in order.

When you believe your papers are ready to file with the court, get at least 2 copies of each document.

  • the court clerk will keep the original of each document when you file them;
  • you will need at least one copy for your files; and
  • one copy will be needed to give to the person seeking protection.

Finally, all papers must be filed at the clerk's office at the courthouse at least 5 days before the hearing.  

  • For information about how to use fillable forms, click hereOpens new window
  • To download free Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here. Opens new window
  • To watch an introduction to Filling Out Judicial Council Forms, click here. Opens new window
  • To view short videos called "Paperwork Basics" (forms) and "Service of Process", click here. Opens new window
  • For more information about the forms on our site, click here. Opens new window

Go to Step 2:  File your court forms. For information on how to do this, click the "Next" button.



Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.