Forms to Ask for Protection

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe!  If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here

Choose the form you need below. You can either download and print the file, or fill it out on your computer, then print it out. These forms will open in a new window. When you have printed out each form, please close that window and continue on this site.

NOTE: You may not need all of these forms. Or you may need more forms. If you're not sure which forms to use, talk to your Family Law Facilitator or a lawyer. 

For help in getting low-cost legal aid, click here.

For help finding local court forms you may need, go to your county's court website.

Forms that ask the court for protection against domestic violence:

If you live in Contra Costa County, California, you will also need:

  • Ex Parte TRO Intake Form (Cases with Children) (a local court form)
    (Form FamLaw-213)

If it helps, you may use this form to explain your situation:

  • Description of Abuse (Form DV-101

If you have children with the person you want protection from, click here for more forms you need to fill out.

When you file for a Restraining Order, you can also file for a Temporary Restraining Order to cover the time until the court has issued a "Restraining Order After Hearing."  Click here for these forms.

  • For information about how to use fillable forms, click here
  • To download free Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here.
  • To view short videos called "Paperwork Basics" (forms) and "Service of Process", click here
  • For more information about the forms on our site, click here


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.