Step 4: Tell the Court That You Have Served Your Forms

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe! Opens new window If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here. Opens new window

The judge cannot hear your court case until you have filed your court forms properly
, given (served) copies of these forms to the person accused of abuse, and then filed a form that shows someone over 18 who is not connected to the court case served those forms on the other party.


To prove to the court that the person who has been accused of abuse has been served in the right way, the person who served these forms must fill one of the following forms and then give that form back to you:

  • For "Personal Service" - the person must fill out and sign one

    • Proof of Service (In Person) (Form DV-200Opens new window for each person served.
  • For "Service by Mail" - the person who mailed the forms must fill and and sign one

    • Proof of Service by Mail (Form DV-250Opens new window for each person served.


  • You must make one copy of each Proof of Service form and take these forms to the court clerk.  The clerk will file and stamp all the forms. The court will keep the original of each form, and will give the copies of these forms back to you.
  • KEEP YOUR COPY OF EACH PROOF OF SERVICE IN A SAFE PLACE and take it to any court hearing that has been scheduled in this case. 

To read an information sheet called "What is 'Proof of Personal Service'?"(DV-200-INFO) in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese, click on the language you need:




Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.