Who Can "Serve" Court Papers?

en español>

WARNING!  People can tell what Internet sites you have visited on your computer.
Be Safe! Opens new window If the information you need is sensitive to your situation, use the Internet at a local library, a friend's house, or, if possible, at work. If you do use your own computer, you can clear your browser history after your visit following our directions, click here. Opens new window


Court forms can be "served" by anyone over 18 years of age that is not involved in the case.

  • This may be a friend, relative, the county sheriff, or a professional process server.

If you hire a "professional process server" to serve the other party in the case, it will cost money.

  • It helps to give the process server a picture of the person you want served, and a list of times and places when it will be easier to find the person.
  • You might also try to find a process server who is close to where the person you want served lives or works, since a process server's fee is often based on how far he or she has to travel to serve your forms.
NOTE: If you cannot afford to pay to have your court papers served, you may file a Fee Waiver Application (Form FW-001) Opens new window with the court.
See the instructions Opens new window for this form.
  • The judge may waive your fee so that the sheriff or marshal will serve your papers
    for free.
  • If the person to be served is in jail, there is no fee to have the person served.




Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.